I’m crying so hard right now guys, it’s taking a lot of effort to type properly, my vision’s all blurry from the tears and not wearing my glasses
This is my arm, covered in butterflies as part of The Butterfly Project. All are in various states of fading, except for that shiny new one, with the polka dots, which is why I’m crying.
I just got back from walking to Cosmo’s, a cafe near my house that I go to often. While I was sitting there, waiting for my drink, a man (who seemed maybe in his mid to late thirties, like 36 at the most) tapped my shoulder. I was already on-edge because I was by myself, something I don’t do often, so a strange man talking to me made me jumpy.
He had a serious look on his face, and he pointed to my arm. “Those butterflies on your arm. Are they for The Butterfly Project?”
Still flustered, and now embarrassed, I told him yes they were. “For yourself, or did you do them for your friend?” he asked. I told him that they were for myself.
“Can I sit?” he asked, and I said something like “Yeah, sure.” cause I was still all nervous and stuff
He then pulls a black Sharpie out of his pocket. “Would you please let me draw a butterfly on your arm?”
I almost started crying right there. A complete stranger wanted to give me a butterfly. I told him yes and gave him my arm, and he drew that beautiful polka-dotted butterfly right there.
I asked him how he knew of The Butterfly Project, and he told me this:
“I found out about it last year. My… My son committed suicide, because some kids at his school were bullying him because they found out he was gay. After that, I looked up as many suicide prevention and self-harm help things I could. I don’t want anyone to commit suicide or harm themselves for any reason.”
I didn’t know what to say- I’m not very god with words. I told him I was sorry that he had to lose his son like that, and I thanked him profusely for the butterfly.
We talked for a while about things; self-harm, homosexuality, bullying. When I had to go, I stood and he hugged me and said “I love you. Please, don’t ever harm yourself again. I know it’s hard, resisting the urge, but please stay strong for me.”
I had to bite my tongue to hold back the tears. I said I’d try my hardest, and he smiled and left.
I never asked his name. I wish I would have, because that man is one of the kindest, most beautiful souls I have ever met. I wish I could thank him again.
Oh my god, that is so beautiful…
This is the reason projects like this exist.
- startingtodreamchangingcolours reblogged this from heretherebefandom
- bullet-in-the-chamber likes this
- display-block likes this
- sweeet-teaaa reblogged this from iamsecretlyadragon
- sweeet-teaaa likes this
- andyelisse likes this
- vaddict-for-life reblogged this from differentkindofwonderful
- vaddict-for-life likes this
- differentkindofwonderful reblogged this from iamsecretlyadragon
- iamsecretlyadragon reblogged this from charlottewoolrych
- charlottewoolrych reblogged this from asleepanddead
- charlottewoolrych likes this
- kittenlover11 reblogged this from asleepanddead
- gryfon-spanish-werewolf likes this
- sarah-kate1998 reblogged this from asleepanddead
- ttmojo196 reblogged this from asleepanddead
- jaeleynickasch reblogged this from asleepanddead
- aciditas likes this
- alltimebrightskies reblogged this from asleepanddead
- alltimebrightskies likes this
- broken-wings-learnto-fly likes this
- sshomostuck reblogged this from gracessacrafice
- gracessacrafice reblogged this from asleepanddead
- elizaelyna reblogged this from asleepanddead
- elizaelyna likes this
- killlerkat reblogged this from asleepanddead
- killlerkat likes this
- toa-hahil reblogged this from asleepanddead
- toa-hahil likes this
- majtheawesome reblogged this from asleepanddead
- majtheawesome likes this
- alone-in-space-and-time likes this
- musiccrazedtexasteen likes this
- daydreaming-the-miles-away reblogged this from asleepanddead and added:
- justhazy reblogged this from asleepanddead
- daydreaming-the-miles-away likes this
- fighting-and-surviving reblogged this from cassyhalsall
- listenherebitch395 reblogged this from cassyhalsall
- listenherebitch395 likes this
- i-might-survive reblogged this from asleepanddead
- i-might-survive likes this
- cassyhalsall reblogged this from asleepanddead
- cassyhalsall likes this
- asleepanddead reblogged this from deactivatingsoon
- coldbutterfly reblogged this from trecho-de-livros
- coldbutterfly likes this
- scareddd likes this
- xsybilwar reblogged this from carry-on-darling
- carry-on-darling reblogged this from smerb13
- damn-loser reblogged this from trecho-de-livros